Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Cheeks on a Diet - Day 2

DAY 2 - lost 1 pound!

I probably shouldn't call this a diet. It is a commitment, a pledge, an opportunity for real change. I am optimistic of this change, but that is easy to say on day 2 when I can confidently say yes I passed on the mint cookies that Abby just asked for, yes I passed on the toast this morning and yes I avoided eating the rest of Sophia's graham cracker. Temptation is easy to resist on day 2, we will revisit the subject of temptation another day.

Today I read in Made to Crave about the importance of accountability and prayer from others. I have been blessed with some great women around me that are praying for me, reading this and putting up with my emails, questions and comments as I start this journey. Definitely helpful that some have come before me on this health journey and others are starting out with me.

The book also suggests, as you are making food choices, singing "Stop in the name of love, before you break my heart. Think it over!"Yes I have had that song in my head all day, you're welcome for getting it stuck in your head too. Again didn't need it today, but I'm thinking as soon as I head to a party with a mountain of desserts, that song is going to be the soundtrack.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10, 12 Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! 12 Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

Menu for Day 2:
Breakfast: 2 egg muffins
Recipe from Katelyn at http://www.kalynskitchen.com/ a great resource for South Beach recipes
Egg Muffins Revisited Again
(Makes 12 muffins)

15 eggs (for silicone muffin pans, use 12 eggs for metal muffin tins or individual silicone cups. You can use less egg yolks and more egg white if you prefer.)
1-2 tsp. Spike Seasoning
1-2 cups grated low fat cheese (I like sharp cheddar or a blend of cheddar/Jack cheese, use less cheese if using meat)
Optional, but highly recommended, 3 green onions diced small.
Optional: chopped veggies such as blanched broccoli, red pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, etc. (Using veggies will reduce the fat content)
Optional: diced Canadian bacon, lean ham, or crumbled cooked turkey sausage

Preheat oven to 375 F. Use regular or silicone muffin pan, 12 muffin size. If using silicone pan, spray with nonstick spray. If using regular muffin pan, put two paper liners into each slot, then spray liner with nonstick spray.

In the bottom of the muffin cups layer diced meat, if using, vegetables, if using, cheese and green onions. You want the muffin cups to be about 2/3 full, with just enough room to pour a little egg around the other ingredients. Break eggs into large measuring bowl with pour spout, add Spike, and beat well. (I used to add a bit of half and half or milk, but lately I like the way they turn out without it.) Pour egg into each muffin cup until it is 3/4 full. I like to stir slightly with a fork. Bake 25-35 minutes until muffins have risen and are slightly browned and set.

Muffins will keep at least a week in the refrigerator without freezing. Egg muffins can be frozen and reheated. For best results, thaw in refrigerator before reheating. Microwave on high about 2 minutes to reheat.

Snack: vanilla yogurt with frozen berries (shared with Sophia)
Lunch: salad with chicken, romaine, green peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, little bit of cheese and some caesar dressing
Snack: apple (again shared with Sophia)
Dinner: taco salad with ground turkey on romaine
Dessert at small group: Sorry SG love your desserts, but NOPE!

No comments: