Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Do my cheeks look different yet?

Day 3 - Down 3 pounds!

Of course I don't look different yet, but the scale is moving in the right direction! Today's chapter in Made to Crave was titled "Growing Closer to God". How do you grow closer to God during a health journey? Lisa explains, "By making choices to deny ourselves something that is permissible, but not beneficial. And making this intentional sacrifice for the sole purpose of growing closer to God. After all Jesus said Himself, 'If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me' (Luke 9:23). I have to say I do look at this 14 day commitment as denying myself. I passed on the homemade cookies at small group last or sharing graham crackers with Sophia today or looking past the leftover cake in my fridge. I would normally scoop those up and not think twice about it. But now to think that denying myself could bring my closer to God and end this roller coaster feels very freeing. By growing closer to God it "reestablishes that God not food is in control of my life". I'm posting that last part in my kitchen: GOD IS IN CONTROL OF MY LIFE, NOT FOOD!

Morning - 2 egg muffins (see previous post for recipe) *shared with Sophia who apparently likes eggs now
Snack - vanilla yogurt with mixed berries *shared with Sophia who apparently thinks her yogurt is boring
Lunch - leftover turkey taco salad minus cheese and corn chips (in total honesty I did have some corn chips on my salad last night) and 1/2 a tortilla with chicken enchilada (yep not on the diet plan but I was getting concerned about calories for the day and Tim didn't want the rest....yes I feel guilty....yes I'm forgiven myself and moved on)
Snack - vanilla yogurt with blueberries
Dinner - Chicken with mushrooms and onions with broccoli
I didn't have Worcestershire sauce so I used a bit of steak sauce and some low-fat sour cream with the mushrooms and onions. Frozen broccoli just added a little bit of seasoned salt and some lemon juice.

CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOMS AND ONIONS

Marinate two boneless, skinless chicken breasts in 1 tsp olive oil, the juice of one lemon, chopped garlic and black pepper. Pan fry with non stick spray, dump the whole thing in the pan, juices, garlic and all. When chicken is done, transfer to plate, cover with foil and DO NOT clean pan, just add a bit of water to bring up the tasty browned bits from the bottom then add finely chopped onion and mushrooms. Sautee until soft and the mushrooms release their moisture. Season with pepper and just a dash of Worcestershire sauce (not too much as there is a lot of sodium, literally just a few drops). Top your chicken with the mushrooms, add a generous side salad and enjoy!


Pretty sure I'm eating an apple later because I'm still hungry, but heading out for a walk with the family first.

No comments: